Near East Foundation (NEF)
Title: Program Director, Palestine
Reports to: SVP Global Operations
Location: Ramallah, West Bank
Travel: Frequent travel within country
Contingent on funding. December 2021 anticipated start date.
The Near East Foundation is seeking candidates for the position of Program Director in Palestine. The Program Director is responsible for overall leadership, administration, operations oversight, and management of NEF’s work in Palestine. NEF has operated at a reduced level since November 2020. Working within NEF’s regional program structure and its strategic plan, the Program Director will lead a new phase of NEF’s program in Palestine, including cross-border economic cooperation, climate-resilience development and inclusive economic development. In coordination with NEF’s headquarters team, the Program Director will set program direction and priorities, build partnerships with local and international organizations, cultivate funding opportunities and build a diverse funding portfolio, and ensure effective project management and implementation.
The Program Director is responsible primarily for:
- Working collaboratively with the project team and partners and coordinate closely with key donors to develop overall project strategy and direction and to develop and implement annual program work plans and performance milestones plans;
- Working with the Business Development and Fundraising teams to build a robust funding pipeline; contribute to business development and proposal writing for project expansion, transition and sustainability;
- Contributing to the design, expansion and diversification of NEF’s program in Palestine through effective engagement with donors and relevant actors;
- Maintaining positive working relationship with relevant government offices on behalf of NEF as well as local and international organizations; the Program Director is NEF’s point of contact with line ministries and funding donors in Palestine;
- Fostering open and transparent communication with Headquarters to ensure consistent information sharing and support;
- Ensuring that programs in Palestine are in alignment with NEF’s goals and strategic plan;
- Representing NEF in all relevant working groups personally or by delegating technically relevant staff; maintaining a strong engagement with development and other relevant aid communities;
As the program takes root, the Program Director will:
- Provide overall team management, technical direction, administrative coordination, and financial and operations oversight
- Recruit direct reports and coordinate all hires of non-direct reports in accordance to NEF’s policies and guidelines;
- Serve as primary project representative and contact point for donor relations;
- Work closely with the NEF program development team and other NEF teams to ensure a smooth and rapid start-up of the program;
- Oversee the timely and quality completion of all program technical and financial deliverables and reports (including quarterly, annual, and M&E reports) in accordance with the agreement and donor guidelines;
- Lead project(s) changes including realignment of activities, budgets, and extensions when required;
- Adapt management systems in line with NEF standard operating procedures;
- Ensure safety and duty of care of staff as well as the security and appropriate use of project and NEF assets;
- Maintain ongoing communication with project stakeholders (both internal and external) regarding project progress and challenges;
- Assess the implementation context, assumptions, and changes in the operating environment to ensure that project/s focus, strategies and activities remain relevant, and recommend changes when required;
- Provide strategic leadership and motivational support to the country team/s through orientations, regular supervision, regular team meetings, learning and reflection events and an effective management of assessment plans and accountability goals;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, international relations, business management, public administration, agriculture, or other relevant fields of study;
- 10 years minimum of relevant work experience with development organizations implementing economic development, workforce development, and/or capacity building projects;
- Experience working on cross-border, person-to-person projects, including economic cooperation, policy development, and/or conflict management and mitigation.
- Proven track record in project management, including project planning, implementation and oversight, including managing budgets;
- Current (and working) knowledge of the Palestinian context including knowledge of relevant Ministries, Administrative Units and INGO coordination offices;
- Prior experience managing USAID projects and demonstrated knowledge of USG rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Experience in effective people and team management, including implementation of code of conduct, safeguarding and anti-corruption measures;
- Experience in managing the safety of staff and assets;
- Understanding of the concepts behind, and practical application of, humanitarian and development codes and standards such as Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability;
- Fluency in both English and Arabic; excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in Palestine without NEF sponsorship;
- Ability to pass a comprehensive pre-employment background check
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience working in similar humanitarian and/or development contexts outside of Palestine.
NEF will accept a rolling application until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. A review of applications will begin on October 4, 2021.
Please apply by submitting the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience and availability
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org.
The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.
About the Near East Foundation:
NEF is a non-profit international development organization that has supported livelihoods recovery and community-based economic development in the Middle East, Africa, and Caucasus since 1915. NEF draws on local teams, experience, and partnerships in these regions to create community-led solutions to improve livelihoods and local governance among conflict and crisis-affected groups, while maintaining neutrality and ensuring inclusiveness in our approach. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF currently has operations in ten countries: Armenia, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, South Sudan, and Syria. Our programs are organized around three pillars: Inclusive Economic Development, Climate-resilient Development, and Stabilization and Peacebuilding. NEF has operated in the Palestinian Territories since 1918 and has operated its current program since 1994.